If the event is for a group, you need a signed facility user agreement and an insurance certificate. If it is the marriage of a person or something for a member of the municipality, it is not necessary to conclude an agreement on the use of the facilities. In general, the risk should be assessed in the light of the nature of the activity, the number of people involved and whether the group is made up of children or the elderly. During a step aerobics class that meets in your church, a woman stumbles on a few training devices and falls and breaks her wrist. You regret that the woman was injured, but you think that the woman or the sponsor of the class should pay her medical expenses. Unfortunately, if no steps are taken in advance, there is little to prevent them from suing your department for payment. Because of our current economic and outreach programs for various other minority groups, many churches occupy all or part of the ecclesiastical institutions. Many major dealerships have closed their Sunday night services, allowing other businesses to either empty or use their current facility. Other establishments may have long-term or short-term use for events and activities, for example. B the use of a larger gym or church building to host a larger event. Link to the fully printable version at the end of this page. It is best to have insurance for each group that uses your facility.

Your agreement on the use of the facilities should include an insurance clause in the language. If the group has insurance, protecting your church is simple. Simply ask them to mention your church as an additional insured on its general liability policy and issue you a certificate of insurance attesting that your church has been added. This transfers the primary responsibility to their insurance and not to that of the Church. An agreement on the use of the facilities helps protect your church from liability, while providing you with space for external groups to meet with you. You can define the conditions of use of your premises by the group and indicate that they will be left in good condition and handed over to the church. You can also add a language that says the group is keeping your church unharmed and compensates it. “Indemnification” means that the group agrees to reimburse your church if you have to pay damages as a result of an incident. The main problem with renting or renting church buildings to outside organizations is that your church can be held responsible for accidents or injuries, even if you were not the sponsor of the event. It`s easy to think that the group and its members would be responsible for their own actions, but often they are not. As the owner of the property, you could ultimately be held liable.

For groups that are already using the building, explain that you need building use agreements to better define which organization is responsible in the event of injuries or accidents. Ask them to make your new deal. Most groups should have no problem assuming responsibility for losses resulting from their activities. In fact, they may have assumed from the beginning that the responsibility belonged to them. “As part of managing a loss, many churches admitted they were probably overconfident,” said Peter Kujak, a claims manager for Brotherhood Mutual. “They didn`t think there was a risk from those who went through the doors. They understood too late the need to control access to their building and to imprison precious objects. A building use agreement is only part of the equation. Another important factor in limiting liability is to keep your facilities in a safe working condition. If someone falls down the stairs because your handrail is loose, the blame will likely fall directly on the church.

Customers won`t be familiar with your building, so they may not know how to find the next outing or phone in case of an emergency. You may not even know the name or address of the ministry – crucial details for first aid in case of an emergency.. . .